Monday, November 16, 2009

"I'll Meet You Under Freddie Mercury."


Written June 6, 2008

The story of Danny Piert.

I met Danny ages ago when I first moved back from Texas on a journaling site. (Clearly I've been doing this for far too long.) He had piercing eyes and a hankering for Shane MacGowan. I was in internet love.

Over the twists and turns of life's bumpy road we both ended up in London, finally, at the same time. This was it.

He: I'll meet you under Freddie Mercury.
Me: What?
He: Just come out of the tube station and I'll meet you under Freddie Mercury.

Ugh. What a nightmare. How the hell am I going to find Freddie Mercury? Until that is, I come out of the tube station, turn around and am greeted by a 15 foot, gold statue of Freddie Mercury. Dang. Talk about monumental. His eyes more brilliant than I expected and his face more gorgeous, Danny tells me he's going to treat me to a night of fun. Done. I'm in.

We, and a few of his friends start at one pub and then hit up a Texas style bar. They did quite a good job of it and I felt like I was in the middle of America whilst in the middle of London. Johnny Cash on the juke box. Beer in the belly. Great times.

Can I not make an ass of myself? Of course not. It wouldn't be the same.

So we're all sitting around a table. Me, Danny and his London friends. Bullshitting, talking about life, when suddenly Danny asks me for a kiss. It was quite out of the blue but I decided, what the hell. "A kiss? Sure!" and kissed him good and hard. This brought the conversation to a halt. When I pulled back, everyone, Danny and all his friends are giving me the exact same look of utter confusion. And in that silent pause I realized that Danny had asked me if I wanted KIDS.
Awk. Ward. Heh....heh...ayee.

Alas, the evening went on and eventually ended with us rushing to the bus in the wee hours of the morning. A fevered goodbye as the bus pulled away, I left my sweet Australian internet crush outside a Texas bar somewhere on the streets of London town.

And that is Danny Piert, a boy I will always willingly meet under Freddie Mercury and forcefully kiss.

No comments: